Saturday, May 30, 2009

LASUD Choral Fest 09

I was very pleased with the way we sang. We did two performances. The first was more informal and provided a chance for our clinician to hear us. The second was our formal adjudication. I thought our first performance was a little better. We were a little fresher and had a bit more of an edge.

We had a few minor flaws. In In the Beginning Was the Word we started to rush towards the end. Our pitch wasn't as dead on as it should be in the Ave Verum.

I have been working with getting the group to be more responsive to conducting gestures. They are just starting to get the idea. It's a little uneven, doesn't always happen, and not everyone is following, but it is a beginning. In the Ave Verum by Gounod I felt I was able to get the best results.

It was good for the students to get a lot of positive feedback from the judges and we were all pleased with the superior ratings. Although it is not a competition, it was nice to earn the highest score. Now I need to find a second festival where they will face a greater challenge.

On a slightly different subject, I came across a nice video clip on TED. It deals with one of my favorite subjects - delayed gratification. Check it out here. It's very funny and takes only a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment